“Keep a grateful journal. Every night, list five things that you are grateful for. What it will begin to do is change your perspective of your day and your life.” -Oprah
Oprah gives the best advice. I really love this idea of a grateful journal. The more I talk about the parts of my job that I absolutely love, the more I love my job. And the negative aspects don’t seem to matter as much.
So here goes my 5 things I’m grateful for today:
1. My students trust- one of my students today talked to me about her relationship (or lack there of) with her father. She told me a lot of details about some painful experiences in her childhood. It took her a lot of courage to tell me about this.
2. My new student student, S- She told student from #1 that she admired her. S started yesterday, and said she appreciate how this student was welcoming and helpful, showing there were good people still in this world. She also told this student that she could tell that she was really “going at it”, and that she could tell how determined she was to earn her high school diploma. My students are constantly saying things to uplift one another. How could anyone not appreciate that much positivity?
3. My 2 roommates- they both offer different perspectives to situations. Often times another perspective is all it takes to see the good in a situation or find a solution to a problem.
4. Giving Sum- This amazing organization is full of individuals focused on making their city better. Tonight, I had the opportunity to talk to some of the members about what I do every day. It definitely gave Indy another bullet point under my pros on my Indy pro/con list. Perhaps Indy is growing on me….
5. The song “Dog Days Are Over” by Florence and the Machines- This song has the ability to pump me up even on a challenging day. The power of music to alter your mood is amazing.